French renewable energy company Neoen has secured a support agreement with the Victorian Government which will see it provide an integrated wind farm and battery storage facility, the Bulgana Green Power Hub (BGPH).
The project includes construction of a 204.4MW wind farm with Siemens-Gamesa wind turbines and a 20MW/34MWh lithium-ion battery provided by Tesla in Stawell, regional Victoria.
The battery is dedicated to maintaining stable supply to a second major infrastructure project, Nectar Farms’ glasshouse facility which is around 40 hectares in size. The glasshouse facility would only be able to be progressed with the availability of the affordable and reliable power supply from BGPH.
Once complete, Nectar Farms will take up to 15% of the energy from the BGPH, with the other 85% going into the local grid.
The support is a testament to the Victorian Government’s commitment to meet its Victorian Renewable Energy Target (VRET), emissions reduction pledge and to assist regional economies – policies that have been implemented to ensure that 25% of electricity generated in the state comes from renewable energy by 2020 and regional economies are supported.
Neoen Australia managing director Franck Woitiez said the company is committed to boosting the local economy and facilitating renewable integrations.
“This is a major step forward for communities, businesses and the renewable energy industry, and it concludes a year of great achievements for Neoen,” Woitiez said.
Lily D’Ambrosio, Victoria’s Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change, said this an exciting initiative delivering a better future for Victoria.
“We’re delivering affordable, secure and clean energy, which is powering new jobs right across our state,” she said.
“This project will reduce greenhouse gas emissions while helping meet Victoria’s renewable energy generation targets.”